Not sure if this was worth a whole new post, but what the hell. So I took a short break to work on some other aspects of the game, but I’m now back on developing the character. I’ve introduced some changes based on people’s feedback in the comments and started work on clothing. I was wondering if you guys feel it’s made any improvements now. It’s not textured yet, but this may give some insight into how it will eventually look. On the subject of other aspects of the game, I have managed to figure out where a lot of the performance bottlenecks were coming from and it turns out it was more to do with how my scene was structured rather than the capability of the renderer itself, so we are now seeing massive performance improvements in the rendering of static geometry. I’m going to start looking into wrapping up what we have of the school so far and putting out a playable test build so I can get some insight into how this performing on other people machines and to give some sense of the game’s environmental scope and scale. I’ve also been exploring procedural animation techniques, most notably for hair physics.
On that note, here’s a quick preview of one of the new locations Arno has been working on. There’s more to come and I may also update this post to reflect this.