Okay, so I’m putting out the first public test build of the game today. As stated before, this release is still very light on overall content, not really containing any actual gameplay or characters, but will allow you to explore part of the environment due to appear in the full game (which has unfortunately also had to be scaled back for now due to performance reasons cited in earlier posts). This should at least reflect some aspect of the game, since exploring 3D environments will be a part of it, and this is something of rarity for this particular genre. Honestly though, I didn’t really want to put out anything playable at this stage, but a lot of people had requested it and are likely eager to see some of the stuff being worked on, so here it is as promised.
Now, a few facts about this release: first of all, it will likely have bugs, it’s built from a custom fork of the unstable development branch of the Godot game engine I’m using, and I’m already aware of a couple of bugs which have not yet been fixed in this release due to the seemingly random nature of their occurance.
Secondly, it’s more or less what you see is what you get; this release is simply to show off an in-progress look at the school environment and nothing more. Again, some people might be let down here, since there is no real gameplay and there are no characters as of yet. I did manage to get the phone camera to work as some of you may have already seen, so there’s that I guess. However, I’ve already teased at a character model I’ve been working on, and finishing and integrating her will be the primary focus for the next major release, which should be a LOT more interesting than this one. I’ve also exchanged some emails with the lead programmer and maintainer of the engine I’m using, and said he will fix support for GPU skinning in the next few weeks, which should help performance when I introduce characters in the next major release. I will also be merging some of my own code in the mainline.
A lot of people on the YouTube channel commented that they felt the default FOV was too wide. While I personally think a 90 FOV is a good default value (I think most modern games have what essentially amounts to glorified tunnel vision), I’ve lowered it down to 80. However, you can still configure it yourself by changing it in engine.cfg file distributed with the game with a text editor, or by using the console command ‘set_fov’. You can also change other configurations in the engine.cfg file, including resolution and key bindings. The lighting is also a lot better this time, although still not ideal.
Finally, in order to justify the existance of this release somewhat, I’ve hidden a very small secret/easter egg in this build. See if you can find it.