Sorry for the delay with this update, I ran into a lot of issues along the way, but I’m happy that I finally feel ready to share what I’ve been working on. The majority of my time has been spent on completing the character model I’ve been working on, rigging her, animating her, and finally getting her into the game. Getting this character into the game has raised some further issues though. Continuing what I mentioned a while back, performance regarding skeletally animated character is particularly poor in the engine right now, but I’m hoping this will be improved soon, and there are also various parts of the import process concerning animated character which are downright broken and will need to be addressed. Still, at least now you can see her in motion, and this should give you some insight into whats coming in the next major update.A lot of the delays on this character came from feedback I got from a select few people who suggested a lot of improvements. I’m still not entirely happy with it, and will likely continue to improve it further, but I would really appreciate your feedback on seeing this character since this is actually my first attempt at character modelling, rigging, and animating. I am aware of some issues already like a slightly unconvincing run animation and the fact that the hair intersects with the body, but this will hopefully be solved with the introduction of physics simulations for the hair model.
Incidentally, if you’re an artist who thinks they can step in and improve this character, either via modelling, animation, or texturing, please consider contacting me.
Quick Localization-related ammendment
A few people have contacted me about wanting to translate Galatea into their own language. While there isn’t all that much to translate, I’ve decided to host the strings .csv file on a Github repository so people, if they want, can contribute translations of Galatea into their own language and I’ll include them whenever I update the game. Now, this won’t encompass all the strings in the game, and there are two types of strings which would both need to be translated for a full localization: generic system strings contained in csv files, and visual novel scripts written in a custom scripting language. While I will start to include some of script files, there is likely to be a LOT of narrative planned for the final game, and I don’t want to make everything public for the sake of story spoilers, and would generally prefer to work on this aspect with more professional localization people/teams. However, if you just want to have the base game available into your own language, feel free to translate what I have made available. The engine is unicode, so it should be possible to translate into any language, but there might still be some font issues related to CJK and right-to-left languages which I don’t yet know about.
Now, about git. I understand that git is very complicated for non-programmers (and even quite a few programmers), but since the strings in the game will be subject to very frequent change, I want a system which instantly allows me to update and revise data in the same way I work on code. This of course means that translations will become obsolete very quickly, so you will be responsible for making sure your translation remains in sync with the rest of the game. If git is too complicated for you to deal with but you still want to translate the game, just click the ‘Download Zip’ button on the Github page, and send me the updated file via email and I’ll commit them for you. Either way, you can find the first .csv file in the game here (https://github.com/SaracenOne/galatea_localizations).