Don’t worry, I’m still alive. I just haven’t had much chance to work on stuff specific to the game over this past month, things have just been very busy. On one hand though, I have added some new features to the engine which might of interest to people interested in the underlying technology of the game.
The most notable of the engine features I have now is an experimental live script reloading system, which to put it simply, allows me to edit the game logic while the game is already running. This should help significantly with prototyping and iteration, and I imagine will also be very useful for people who want to make mods. I’m quite proud of this feature and I’m hoping it will be available in the mainline version of the engine soon. I’ve also made significant progress on the occlusion buffer feature, which mainly requires me to write my own software rasterizer from scratch, though exclusively concerned with the depth buffer. With this in place, it should be possible for me to start including larger locations to explore. Smaller features including a new multipass material system which should replace the hacky method I’ve been using so far for handling character outlines, as well as new controls for customizing shadow casting options of game instances. Most other things are minor features and bug fixes.
That said, the big thing I wanted to show off, in line with my objective to introduce new gameplay mechanics is a new skinship minigame. I was hoping to show that off today, but unfortunately I’m still waiting on some extra sound and graphical effects to be made before. Also, I’m going to be away for the next four days and will be unable to really do any work on the game or engine at all, though I may still be able to answer questions. When I get back though, I intend to finish up the minigame and show it off.
See you then 🙂